Start a Day Home in the Calgary Area

Whether you’re brand new to providing child care or have already been operating privately, our agency can be a huge help.

We provide training, workshops, networking, advertising and more to educators. We also help with the behind-the-scenes administrative tasks – including but not limited to billing, insurance, developmental screening, etc.

Why do it the hard way? Partner with our agency today!

So very glad I signed up! The support is outstanding! Working with people who have run a day home and truly understand the challenges faced doing so is invaluable. It was quicker and easier than I anticipated to open my dayhome.

- Jessica (educator)

Why Our Agency?

Find out more about the advantages of partnering with our agency.

Application Process

Ready to get on board? Start the application process here.

Resources for Educators

Links to supports and other useful information for educators.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to own my home?

No, you do not need to own your home to run a day home. If you are renting, you will need a letter from your landlord giving you permission to run a day home.

How long does it take to start a day home / partner with your agency?

This varies depending on how quickly you work through some of the home safety items (and how many home safety items you require – ie outlet plugs, gates on stairs). On average, the approval process takes 2-3 months.

Often, waiting for police clearance (with vulnerable sector search) for every resident over 18yrs is what take the longest to complete.

How much should I charge for childcare?

We can help you with some fee suggestions based on what others in your area are charging, but you can charge whatever you see fit.

How do I take payment?

You don’t! We collect all parent fees on your behalf. Parents sign a contract & fee agreement with our agency (based on the fee you decide to charge).

How do I enroll new children in my day home?

All children must be enrolled via our agency. Once you have spoken with them about payment and start dates, the family must contact us (either by submitting a Request for Registration or by phone) to complete the registration process.

Does CRFDH help me fill spaces or am I responsible for this?

To some degree, yes.

  • We display your day home on our day home map page so parents can contact you to arrange an interview and see if you’re a good fit
  • We field phone calls from families looking for child care in the Calgary area and may recommend your day home, based on the family’s criteria.
  • We advertise on social media, Google, and others when applicable.

You can also do your own advertising.

How will I get paid each month?

You submit an invoice to us near the end of each month – don’t worry, a template is provided. Funds are automatically deposited each month directly into your bank account on the last day of the month. (An auto deposit form or void cheque will be required when you sign up).

How many children can I enroll in my day home / how many spaces can I offer?

According to government standards, you can have up to 6 children (in addition to your own children) in your day home

  • A maximum of two children under the age of 2 and three children under the age of 3
  • If you have a smaller space, you may need to reduce this number

Do my own children count towards the limit?

Your own children do not count towards your limit of 6 children. However, they DO count towards age ratios (max 3 children under the age of 3).

Do I need to have a certain level of education to start a day home?

There is no education required to start your day home.

You are required to get your Early Childhood Education (ECE) Level 1 within 6 months of signing your contract, but this is 100% free.

Once you get your ECE Level 1 (and beyond), you’ll be eligible to receive government wage top-ups.

How can I get my Level 1 in Early Childhood Education?

You can complete the course required to get your ECE Level 1 for free here. You do not need to be contracted with an agency to get started.

This must be completed within your first 6 months of being open.

For more information on ECE certifications, visit the Alberta website.

More questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us.